Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Come and See What God Has Done


My eldest daughter danced a liturgical piece at church on Christmas Eve.  The piece was to Lauren Daigle's "Noel."  As I watched the performance, and listened to the lyrics, I was struck by the line "Come and see what God has done."  Obviously, the song is specifically speaking about the birth of our Savior, but I considered the line in the light of everyday life as well.

Sharing our testimonies about what God has done can help to draw others closer to Him.  Our stories of trials, and unrelenting faith, can be used to strengthen the weary and encourage them to keep pressing on in the face of adversity.

I do readily share about God's faithfulness to my sister and I in the time of my mom's terminal illness and passing.  I am quick to proclaim His goodness and mercy despite the sad ending I wanted to avoid.  But I am less open to sharing how God has worked in the middle of my everyday, ordinary messes.  Because that would require me to admit what a complicated mess I truly am.  And really, I'm hard enough on myself already and can't bring myself to be open to further scrutiny.

But then I'm making it all about me when, as a believer, it is supposed to always be all about Him.  I'm actually not quite sure what to do with these thoughts.  I've been pondering them and trying to figure out what it all means.  I think the obvious answer would be to be open to sharing how God has worked through my trials both large and small but that is far easier said then done.  I think I will be praying this through for quite some time...

The YouTube video of Lauren's song can be found here.

No comments: